Hello fellow bloggers and writers!
Today at Adventures in Writing, I am happy to welcome Chrys Fey as she launches her new book A Fighting Chance.
I asked Chrys to share her marketing plan and how she came up with it.
Chrys Fey: Oh boy, a marketing question.
First, I came up with my marketing plan after years of experience and testing out all different kinds of marketing techniques. The thing is, you can never know what’ll work. What worked once, may not work so well a second time. What works for one book, may not create the same outcome for another book. What one author says worked for them, won’t work for every author. Publishing and marketing and social media, etc. are changing constantly. So, those are all things to keep in mind.
Victoria Marie Lees: Great advice, Chrys!
With that said, my marketing plan looked like this:
– I did a cover reveal in December using Xpresso Book Tours’ cover reveal service. I also shared the cover across my social media, on my blog, and in my newsletter.
– I approached ten specific bloggers to host me for 10 specific guest posts.
– I put a Google form up on my blog and asked bloggers in my community if they’d like to take part in my 3-week long blog tour. Victoria was one of the bloggers who signed up. 😊Thanks, Victoria!
Victoria Marie Lees: My pleasure!
I didn’t have any other guest post ideas in mind, but I did have a list of pre-made questions I wanted to answer about my book/series. Participants could choose one of those questions or ask one of their own.
– I also signed up for a blog tour through Silver Dagger Book Tours. Those posts didn’t have a guest post of any kind, just my book’s info. With this book tour service, you decide how much to pay, which I found interesting.
Yes, I really did use a blog tour service while orchestrating posts at the same time. I did that because the blogs that sign up through that service are book blogs with different audiences. Plus, the more eyes on your book, the better. I’m also testing out which method is better for me.
– My blog tour includes a free (for a limited time) eBook and a giveaway, two incentives for readers.
– I gave out advanced reader copies (ARCs) to reviewers.
– I recorded YouTube videos for my channel where I talked about the book, read an excerpt, etc. Those will be posted during the release.
– I also recorded a couple of videos to post to IGTV on my Instagram.
– I promoted the cover reveal and the release in my newsletter.
– I created teaser images for Instagram using Canva. Each image has the cover art and a quote from the blurb or story.
– Scheduled tweets and Facebook posts.
– Updated my website and press kit.
– Finally, something very different…I launched a new website that was inspired by the Disaster Crimes series and A Fighting Chance, but it is NOT about promoting my books. More details below.
Victoria Marie Lees: Thanks so much, Chrys, for sharing your insight into marketing with the followers of Adventures in Writing. And here’s what we’ve all been waiting for, friends, the peek inside A Fighting Chance.
Heat Rating: Hot
*A FIGHTING CHANCE is Book 6 in the Disaster Crimes series, but it’s a spin-off featuring a new couple, so it can be read as a standalone.*
Thorn has loved Amanda from afar, giving her whatever she needs as a survivor of abuse—space, protection, and stability. He yearns to give her more, though, to share his feelings, kiss her, love her, but he’s worried the truth will frighten her away.
And Amanda is afraid. She’s scared of her attraction for Thorn. Most of all, she’s terrified of her ex-boyfriend, who is lurking nearby where no one can find him. When she grows closer to Thorn, Damon retaliates, jeopardizing their happy ending.
Up against an abusive ex and Mother Nature, do Thorn and Amanda have a fighting chance?
Amanda looked up from the current list of up-to-date payments for classes. A movement outside the glass storefront caught her eye. She tilted her head to see a man coming up the sidewalk from the side where the picnic bench sat. Through the vertical blinds, she glimpsed a square face—a short, rugged beard and long, dark hair pulled into a man bun. Her breath fled from her lungs. Her body went from icy cold to flaming hot in the span of a millisecond. She dropped to the floor and slid under the counter, beneath the ledge where they put their purses and cell phones.
“What—” Beth peeked at the windows. Then she snapped her fingers at April and pointed at the stools.
April jumped into action. She pushed the stools in so they blocked Amanda. The bell attached to the door jingled as April removed the jacket she wore and draped it across the stools, creating a curtain to shield Amanda.
From a crack, Amanda watched Beth move to stand in front of the twins, who were in their walkers playing peacefully. “I’m sorry, but we’re going to be closing.”
“I don’t give a shit. I’m here for Amanda.”
The sound of Damon’s voice had her heart beating even harder. That voice had haunted her nightmares, had come back to life in her memories.
Beth cocked her head to the side. “Who? There’s no one by that name here.”
“Don’t bullshit me. I know she works here.”
His voice was closer now.
***FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME***
THE DISASTER CURSE
Author’s Note: I wrote The Disaster Curse to answer a few lingering questions readers may have after reading A Fighting Chance, and to tie the whole series together with a neat, shiny, perfect little bow. Plus, there was one disaster that I hadn’t written about yet. *wink*
The Disaster Crimes Series:
*The Crime Before the Storm (prequel)
Hurricane Crimes (novella, #1)
Seismic Crimes (#2)
Lightning Crimes (free short, #2.5)
Tsunami Crimes (#3)
Flaming Crimes (#4)
Frozen Crimes (#5)
A Fighting Chance (spin-off, #6)
The Disaster Curse (short story, #7)
*Free exclusive story to newsletter subscribers.
***LAUNCHING A WEBSITE***
TheFightingChance.orgis a website dedicated to domestic violence and sexual assault awareness. Inspired by the Disaster Crimes series.
Prizes:Hurricane Crimes (Disaster Crimes 1) and Seismic Crimes (Disaster Crimes 2) eBooks (mobi or epub), Hurricane Crimes Playing Cards, Girl Boss Sign, and a Volcanic Blast Scented Candle
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Chrys Fey is author of the Disaster Crimes Series, a unique concept that blends disasters, crimes, and romance. She runs the Insecure Writer’s Support Group Book Club on Goodreads and edits for Dancing Lemur Press.